[Tutor] Notes on namespaces, scopes, etc

Kent Johnson kent37 at tds.net
Thu Aug 3 13:09:25 CEST 2006

Dave Kuhlman wrote:
> I believe that I've incorporated most, if not all, of the
> suggestions from those on the list, except for Danny's suggestion
> (above) about closures.
>
> The document itself is still here:
>
>     http://www.rexx.com/~dkuhlman/python_comments.html#namespaces

Very nice. Just a few notes:

- When you talk about the hierarchy of namespace lookup, you might just
mention nested scopes and refer to the PEP for more info, instead of
omitting it completely.

- In the section "Accessing namespace dictionaries" you write, "Note
that for lexically/statically nested scopes (for example, a function
defined inside a function), it seems that globals() and locals() still
give access to all items in the accessible namespaces, /but/ do not give
dictionary style access to all visible scopes." globals() and locals()
give access to items in the global and local namespaces, not all
accessible namespaces. As was noted in the emails, variables in nested
scopes are not included in locals() and globals(). I think that's what
you're trying to say but it isn't clear.

- PEP 227 is definitely the present, not the future. Nested scopes have
been available since Python 2.1.

Kent