[Tutor] Listbox selection

Joe Cox jgcox39 at highstream.net
Thu Aug 3 20:12:28 CEST 2006

I am still having a problem getting my listbox's binded to the radiobuttons.
I am getting closer.

###Assign each Radiobutton with its own listbox values, show one selected
button and one listbox###

from Tkinter import *

root = Tk()

var = StringVar()
var.set('a')

{ 'Aluminum' : ['Wrought', 'Die cast'],
       'Steel'   : ['Low Carbon', 'Medium-high carbon','Alloy'] }

def radio_command():
    if var.get() == 'a':
        # button with value 'a' selected
        listbox.insert('a') #here I am trying to put the string starting
with 'Steel' in the listbox
    elif var.get() == 'b':
        # button with value 'b' selected
        listbox.insert('b')   #here I am trying to put the string starting
with 'Aluminum' in the listbox

radio_a = Radiobutton(root,text="Steel", variable=var, value='a',
command=radio_command).pack()
radio_b = Radiobutton(root,text="Aluminum", variable=var, value='b',
command=radio_command).pack()
radio_c = Radiobutton(root,text="Cast Iron", variable=var, value='c',
command=radio_command).pack()
radio_d = Radiobutton(root,text="Nickel", variable=var, value='d',
command=radio_command).pack()
radio_e = Radiobutton(root,text="Titaniuim", variable=var, value='e',
command=radio_command).pack()

listbox = Listbox(root)
for item in ():
    listbox.insert(END, item)