[Tutor] File like object for Windows registry

Henry Finucane h.finucane at gmail.com
Thu Aug 3 22:37:13 CEST 2006

On 8/3/06, K.Weinert at gmx.net <K.Weinert at gmx.net> wrote:
> Hello!
>
> My app should run on debian and windows platforms. For storing the configuration data, I use the ConfigParser module.
>
> What I find difficult is to determine a place for my configuration file. On debian, it is simply
>
> os.path.join(os.path.expanduser("~")),"myconfig")
>
> but what am I supposed to do on Windows? I think a clean solution would be to create a file-like object that reads and writes to the registry, is it?

You might be able to do that, I don't know much about win32
programming, but I believe a better solution is to use the built-in
windows variables. %APPDATA% is where you should store user-specific
application data (and even Microsoft is starting to store XML
configuration files there), and it's an easy variable to get.

>>> import os
>>> os.environ["APPDATA"]
'C:\\Documents and Settings\\UserName\\Application Data'

That should function just fine as a home directory replacement.

> Kind regards,
> Karsten.
> --
>

> "Feel free" – 10 GB Mailbox, 100 FreeSMS/Monat ...
> Jetzt GMX TopMail testen: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/topmail

--H.F.
My penguin is bigger than yours, mister...