[Tutor] This will run on Outlook but not Outlook Express

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at freenet.co.uk
Sun Aug 6 10:00:48 CEST 2006

> from win32com.client import Dispatch
> s=Dispatch("Mapi.Session")

I don't think Outlook express uses MAPI.
MAPI is a strictly Microsoft protocol and only used in Outlook
and a few other clients that try to talk to Exchange servers.

Outlook Express is a much more conventional mailtool
that talks POP/SMTP (and maybe IMAP?)

> I was wondering if I could write a script that would run on
> both Outlook and Outlook Express.

Trying to use a COM object model for that will be extemely difficult.
I'd look at using the standard email tools with Python since both
Outlook and OE talk standard internet mail protocols.

Alan G.