[Tutor] Exercise in writing a python function.

Kermit Rose kermit at polaris.net
Wed Aug 9 16:02:53 CEST 2006

From: Alan Gauld
Date: 08/09/06 03:30:28
To: Kermit Rose; tutor at python.org
Subject: Re: [Tutor] Exercise in writing a python function.

> The current specifications for the function are:
>
> def incr(mult,z,zlim,mpylist):
> # mult is a vector of exponents for the multipliers in mpylist.
> # z is a positive odd integer.
> # zlim is the upper bound critical value for the sum of (
> mpylist[k][0] *
> mpylist[k][1] )

Just to clarify what this means.
you have mpylist = [(2,3),(3,5),(5,7)]
So the products list is: [6,15,35]
So zlim in this case should be greater than the
sum of products: 6+15+35 = 56

*******

Oops.  That is what  I said.

I made a mistake in the specificiations.

I should have specified that
for this example
that
3*mult[0] + 5 * mult[1] + 7 * mult[2] must be < zlim.

# where kth multiplier is mpylist [k][0]
> # and kth multiplier index is mpylist [k][1]

Not sure what you mean by the multiplier index?
The sum above shows mpylist[k][1] being used in the multiplication,
not as an index?

******

Yes.  It's confusing because of my mistake of confusing mpylist[k][1] with
mult[k].

> # function incr returns the next value of vector mult.

I'm still not clear what mult does, your example above doesn't
refer to mult anywhere?

*****

Yes, another consequence of my mistake in the specifications.

Kermit   <  kermit at polaris.net   >