[Tutor] Exercise in writing a python function.

Kermit Rose kermit at polaris.net
Wed Aug 9 16:02:53 CEST 2006

From: Alan Gauld
Date: 08/09/06 03:30:28
To: Kermit Rose; tutor at python.org
Subject: Re: [Tutor] Exercise in writing a python function.
> The current specifications for the function are:
> def incr(mult,z,zlim,mpylist):
> # mult is a vector of exponents for the multipliers in mpylist.
> # z is a positive odd integer.
> # zlim is the upper bound critical value for the sum of (
> mpylist[k][0] *
> mpylist[k][1] )
Just to clarify what this means.
you have mpylist = [(2,3),(3,5),(5,7)]
So the products list is: [6,15,35]
So zlim in this case should be greater than the
sum of products: 6+15+35 = 56
Oops.  That is what  I said.
I made a mistake in the specificiations.
I should have specified that
for this example
3*mult[0] + 5 * mult[1] + 7 * mult[2] must be < zlim.
# where kth multiplier is mpylist [k][0]
> # and kth multiplier index is mpylist [k][1]
Not sure what you mean by the multiplier index?
The sum above shows mpylist[k][1] being used in the multiplication,
not as an index?
Yes.  It's confusing because of my mistake of confusing mpylist[k][1] with
> # function incr returns the next value of vector mult.
I'm still not clear what mult does, your example above doesn't
refer to mult anywhere?
Yes, another consequence of my mistake in the specifications.
Kermit   <  kermit at polaris.net   >