[Tutor] suggestions for read unread items datastructure

Luke Paireepinart rabidpoobear at gmail.com
Mon Aug 14 09:56:27 CEST 2006

anil maran wrote:
> i m sure the users need to maintain their own data,
> but as a provider we need to store their information
> right, sessions and cookies work only during their
> stay in the site, after they exit, im sure they would
> like to come back to the same info, wont u
>
> so i was wondering what is the best way to maintain
> the list of read/unread items in a python
> datastructure,

It's not that we don't want to help you, it's that we don't understand
what you want to do.
Consider this:
Are you trying to make a client-side program for this?
    If so, why do you care about storing multiple user data?
Are you making a server that mirrors other RSS feeds for your users?

Are you making a client-side program that communicates with a single server
that has everyone's RSS feeds on it?

Why do you think you need to do things this way?
Why are you concerned about the data structure used to store this when
there's
other things to be concerned about (RSS feed parsing, etc, etc.)
This should be one of the last things you worry about.

Also, Alan wasn't suggesting you use cookies.
He was stating that websites allow the client to maintain information
about their own activities,
rather than the server trying to manage all the users.
He means that maybe you shouldn't be concerned about which RSS feeds
your clients have been to
and let the clients take care of it themselves.

Sort of how my mailserver sends me all my mail, but my E-mail client
takes care of marking
individual messages 'read/unread' and sorting it into folders.  There's
no reason for the server
to need to know about any of this stuff.  Does your server really need
to know about which
RSS feeds the clients have viewed?