[Tutor] processing multi entry logs

Reed L. O'Brien reed at intersiege.com
Tue Aug 15 04:44:11 CEST 2006

I have a log file. Essentially the file has 2 important entries for
each process id. One when the process starts with an id and a another
piece of data. the second is when the process finishes, with the
result also with the process id. I need to get data from both to make
a sensible representation of the data. The file can be very large, in
excess of 400MB. And the process id entries can be any random
distance apart.

I am hoping for input regarding the best way to do it.

I can't think of an efficient way to store the data from the first
entry.

Keep processing line by line and check against the partially recorded
ids?

Maintain seperate lists and merge them at the end?

Ideas and input appreciated?