[Tutor] Larger GUI design ?

Dave S pythontut at pusspaws.net
Tue Aug 22 19:21:03 CEST 2006

On Tuesday 22 August 2006 17:15, Alan Gauld wrote:
> > I am now on a more ambitious project. There will be a main app
> > screen, some
> > dialogue screens for more info etc and a backend script analysing a
> > database
> > which will take some time to run.
> >
> > How to fit the GUI around it ?
> >
> > If I have my dlg_app.py  inhereting frm_app.py all is well until I
> > need a
> > poppup dialogue.
>
> Its usually better to make popups inherit directly from TopLevel
> rather
> than the parent form

OK I will look into that

> > Would I define another module say dlg_info.py with its frm_info.py
>
> Its usually best to put each significant window/dialog in its own
> form.
> It makes them easier to reuse in other projects for one thing!

Code reuse is good

> > would import and call when needed generating its own QT
> > object and window.
>
> Not sure how QT works so can't comment on that.
>
> > app = QApplication(sys.argv)
>
> Are you sure there isn't a QDialog base class somewhere in QT?
> Thats usually been the case in other GUI toolkits I've used.

Base class ? OK you lost me - I will dig into the docs

> > Secondly my backend will take a while to run & I would like to
> > display a
> > status bar in the GUI. The only way i can see to do this is to
> > either
>
> Sounds like a job for a thread...
>
> > (2) pass info from the backend via a socket (yep know about them
> > now!) to a QT
> > script running in timerEvent()
>
> You can do this but threads are less resource greedy.

I had not thought of a thread - thats a cool solution

Thanks for your suggestions, Its probably obvious for you old hands but its a
whole new world for us beginners :)

You have given me enough info to run with - I will give it a go & see what
happens

Dave