[Tutor] How would I make a program that password protects on aninactivity timer?

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at freenet.co.uk
Tue Aug 29 12:15:51 CEST 2006

> (This is on Windows, on something called novell,
> or something close which acts as a logon service)

Hmm, Novell, the second biggest networking company in the
world might not be too pleased with that description... :-)

Novell provides a comprehensive network resource
and inventory management service as well as a directory
service and shared storage and alarm management.
If you are not on Win2K or XP its probably pretty
fundamental to your entire network operation.

It also provides logon services including such features as
password history protection, password timeouts,
password composition rules etc. But it primarily
operates at the network level, it will prevent you
accessing the network rather than the PC (although
it can do the latter if you have the appropriate client
installed).

> I noticed that there's no way to activate password
> protection on inactivity, or no way to secure the
> computer at all without logging off

This will depend on the OS. If it is Windows NT,
Win 2000 or XP you can do a lot of this from
Windows. On older Windows versions the protection
is still there but not as strong. Simply activate
the Screen saver and set up a password.

> creating a program, that ran a timer that reset
> when you move the mouse or hit a key,

This is possible by detecting Windows events
and resetting the time, but its not that easy and
not really necessary. Windows provides all the
protection you should need.

> I have a basic understanding of python...mostly
> what I need to know is how to freeze and
> unfreeze the processes, and bring the
> program to the top.

You shouldn't freeze processes but you do want to
bar access to them, typically by forcing your program
to the front and swallowing all the usual bypass
mechanisms such as Ctrl-Alt-Del, Alt-Tab etc.

> Also, If there is a way to turn off/restart the computer,
> or log off (of novell) I'd appreciate it if you could tell me.

Search MSDN for that one, there is a way but I confess
I've forgotten how!

> If this is not possible, is there any way to end/restart
> the explorer.exe program?

Thats possible too but not recommended, you mess up
all the users session settings!

I'd try the screen saver settings first, its much easier!

Alan G.