[Tutor] omnicomplete vim python

Mike Hansen Mike.Hansen at atmel.com
Tue Aug 29 15:57:46 CEST 2006

[...]
> This isn't answering Anil's question but I'm curious.
> I've had access to editors that do this kind of thing since 1988
> when I first encountered DECs LSE(Language Sensitive Editor)
> for the VAX. and in a more limited form C and Lisp modes on emacs.
> Then it became popular on PC editors in Visual Studio and
> the Borland tools.
>
> But does anyone actually use this feature? I know I don't, in
> fact I usually turn it off because I find it distracting! I usually
> know what attributes or methods I need to call, and the
> parameters that I need to pass often depend on context anyway
> so the tools often get it wrong.
>
> So I'm curious, how many folks actively use these so-called
> productivity features like intellisense/omnicomplete?
>
> BTW I don't mind toopltips - where they tell you the signature
> of a function but don't fill it in... Its the autocomplete feature
> I've
> never found helpful.
>
> Alan G

I switch between Komodo and VIM. Komodo has autocomplete. I've never
found it distracting. It's kind of useful. I haven't explored
omnicomplete in VIM yet. I still just ctrl-n instead of using the new
omnicomplete stuff. I like the background syntax checking in Komodo. It
has been helping me clean up problems before I get around to running
Pyflakes on the program.

BTW, the next version of Komodo will have vi key-bindings!

Mike
named recipient(s) only.