[Tutor] Data hiding in Python.

Jonathon Sisson sisson.j at gmail.com
Wed Dec 20 00:07:08 CET 2006

Alan Gauld wrote:
> but also enforces that intent. This is espectially important
> during the early development of libraries where the internal
> representation is constantly evolving.

Yeah, I would have to agree with you there.  I hadn't considered that
angle...

> But multiple languages compiling to a common runtime
> all with a single class library is powerful medicine...

I would argue the only real "innovation" provided by .NET is just that:
the ability to produce and consume project components from different
languages.

I have to say I'd still prefer Java development over .NET, but that's
probably more personal issues with Microsoft than language implementation.

I recently used Python for a relatively large project for a Linux
scripting class (the professor was kind enough to allow any relatively
common scripting language (i.e. available on our Linux server...heh))
and I have to admit, I'm much more productive with Python than with
virtually any language I've used before. (No, I haven't tried Ruby yet,
but I hear it's just as addicting).  Access modifiers or not, you can't
really argue with development productivity like that...or the grade that
I got on that project. =)  And, it was actually kind of fun listening to
some other students gripe about Perl...haha.

Anyhow, thanks for the additional info, Alan!

Jonathon