[Tutor] Tutor Digest, Vol 34, Issue 42

Carlos carloslara at web.de
Thu Dec 21 19:42:39 CET 2006

Chis,

In the past  I have received very valuable info from other list users,
that has helped me to solve problems that I had. Just yesterday Kent
helped me with something very specific.

I'm asking for a project review because my code is working now, it is
not complete but it is working. What I need is not a specific solution,
but more something like a general review of the code. Because while
probably everything is working, there might be very evident problems
that are general in nature and that are impossible for me to spot for a
number of reasons.

What is this project about? Well I'm allways a little bit afraid to
speak about that, because after 30 seconds most of the people just wants
to get away as fast as possible. But hey, you asked for it :-)

My project is a building prototyping system, my idea is that it is
possible to investigate different spatial configurations for an
anchitectural project, for you to have a better idea, let me show a
simplified step list:

1. - Locate the plot that contains the architectural project. Details
like orientation, latitude and longitude are relevant.

2. - Generate the collection of spaces that compose the project. Details
like size and position respect to other spaces are relevant.

3. - Analyze the collection of spaces. This is an intermediate step, and
its function is that the system knows the details of the given data.

4. - Run the system. Based on a Genetic Algorithm, the system generates
a population of possible solutions and evaluates how well they perform
to give at the end a number of solutions that represent possible
projects. For the first version of the system the evaluated
considerations are going to be kept at a minimum, with the intention of
simplifying the development process. Those considerations are going to
be on the one hand, proximity that is expressed in the schematic design.
And on the other hand an external evolutionary pressure, in this case
sun incidence. Further versions of the system are intended to cover more
aspects of an architectural project.

If you, besides python, know something about Maya (the 3D App) that
would just be great for me. I have spent the last semester learning
python and mel the scripting language of maya. Thankfuly I found
something called cgkit, that has let me use python inside of maya.

And if by chance you are familiar with genetic algorithms, well that
would be perfect, because you can take a look at how I took a genetic
algorithm python module and applied to my project.

But in the case that you are not familiar with maya or genetic
algorithms, well the code is still python and I bet that a veteran like
you can spot a bunch of things that could be done better, at the big
scale of the code workings or a the small one of specific stuff.

MArch as far as I know is not something cryptic, it stands for Master of
Architecture and it follows the normal master courses notation. You can
check it here
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master%27s_degree#MArch_I..2C_MArch_II.>.

Just to clarify :-)

Cheers