[Tutor] OT: Python 2.5 (Was Re: Length of longest item in a list, using a list comp)

Chris Calloway cbc at unc.edu
Fri Dec 29 19:50:05 CET 2006

Chris Hengge wrote:
> I hope this is related enough for this thread, but I'm curious why
> people didn't seem to unanimously jump into 2.5 upon release.

If I'm driving a 2006 model car, I don't rush right out and trade for a
2007 model just because they are available.

There's cost and effort involved with changing versions. Not the least
is having to retest all your existing applications.

Generators now have a different syntax, so some applications would need
some updating in order to take advantage of 2.5.

The new "with" statement is very cool, though.

> I've personally held back just because most of the
> documentation I've come across is for 2.4,

100% of this is Python 2.5 documentation:

http://docs.python.org/

Very little of it had to change from the last version.

--
Sincerely,

Chris Calloway
http://www.seacoos.org
office: 332 Chapman Hall   phone: (919) 962-4323