[Tutor] Starting python from a DOS prompt from any directory?

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Sun Dec 31 23:25:16 CET 2006

"Steve Oldner" <Steven.Oldner at LA.GOV> wrote

> change defaults (programmers aren't allowed to do system
> admin stuff, heck, we can't even move our PC's or monitors).

You can just type in the PATH statement every time you
start DOS

PATH= %PATH%;D:\Python25

And it will have the same effect.

You can even create a Batch file and put it into
somewhere your PATH can see

D:\Python25\python %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9

should work.

But how did you install Python if you can't change the
system? If you have access to install programs you
have access to set environment variables, at least
for yourself!

Alan G.