[Tutor] installing python on windows and macs

linda.s samrobertsmith at gmail.com
Mon Feb 6 09:09:52 CET 2006

On 2/5/06, Danny Yoo <dyoo at hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu> wrote:

> On Sun, 5 Feb 2006, linda.s wrote:
>
> > I installed python in both Windows and Mac. I am very curious why the
> > installation under Mac take so long time compared to that under
> > Windows.
>
> Hi Linda,
>
> But that's somewhat odd, because it should take zero time: Python's
> already installed under Mac OS X 10.3.  *grin*
>
> Is this a really big problem for you?  Installation is something that
> usually happens just once, so I'm sure the Python developers haven't done
> anything particularly focused to make installation on any platform
> blazingly fast.  So, frankly, as long as the installation worked out ok, I
> wouldn't worry too much about this.
>

> Still if this does matter to you, let's see... can you be more specific
> about what version of Mac OS and what installation of Python you've tried?
> I made a flippant comment above, but I assume that you mean some other
> version of Mac OS (perhaps 9?)  In order to evaluate what's happening, we
> need details about your system to advise better.  And since your question
> is about speed, knowing what kinds of machines we're comparing against
> (CPU, RAM) would also be good, since your computer's raw performance is a
> significant factor.
>
> You might also want to talk with the MacPython folks, and you can give
> them numbers on how long the installation takes. (How long do you mean by
> "long"?  Minutes, hours... days?  *grin*)  The folks on the macpython list
> might be able to corroborate that your situation is unusual, or they might
> be able to point out something that they know as an outstanding issue.
> They have a mailing list here:
>
>    http://www.python.org/sigs/pythonmac-sig/
>
> Good luck to you.

Thanks for your kindness. The version of My Mac is
Mac OX 10.4.4; I guess that Python 2.3.5 has been installed before.
Now I tried to install Python 2.4.2; It works fine till "Make
Install". After I reenter the terminal, I still saw Python 2.3.5 and
2.4.2. does not appear.
Also, it is really boring to go through ./configure, make and make
install. Why it is not as convenient as Windows?
Sorry for any naive comments.
Linda