[Tutor] IDE - Editors - Python

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at freenet.co.uk
Mon Feb 6 20:38:23 CET 2006

> Which editors does everyone use and why. Please keep the discussion to
> IDE's

Another hotly debated topic.

What do you define as requyirements of an IDE?
To me Unix is the best IDE I've ever used, but others would challenge my
definition of an IDE...

> rather then any editors. I am well versed on Emacs and VI so anything
> beyond

OK, Emacs could be argueed as an IDE if you install pythonmode.
vim in turn has excellent Python support if you get the version with
built-in
Python for macro writing. Personally I use emacs on Unicx and vim on
Windows and on Mac I use both as the mood takes me!

> them would be appreciative. Why you like the editor and how it helps
> reduce
> your development time would be productive and helpfull.

Other Python tools I have used include Scite on Windows - the editor
portion of Pyhonwin. Glade and Boa Constructor both get good write-ups.

Kimodo and Blackadder are also both good but commercial.

NetBeans can speak Jython but doesn't offer the Python programmer
much beyomd the editor to be honest.

But personally my preferred environment is vim and a bash shell under
cygwin on XP. Or, less often, xemacs with python mode on Linux.

HTH,

Alan G.