[Tutor] IDE - Editors - Python

Tim Johnson tim at johnsons-web.com
Mon Feb 6 21:55:34 CET 2006

* Marilyn Davis <marilyn at deliberate.com> [060206 11:30]:
> On Mon, 6 Feb 2006, Danny Yoo wrote:
>
> > >   <grin> Avoid debuggers like a plague. If someone applies for a job
> > >          with us and starts talking about their proficiency in
> > >          debuggers, the interview stops right there and we keep looking.
>
> I can see that bragging about "proficiency in debuggers" would be a
> strange tactic in an interview, demonstrating an off-center focus.

  Hi Marilyn:

> But the debugger is sure handy now and then.  I try to *think* first.
> That usually finds the problem.  Sometimes one or two print statements
> or an assert sorts it all out.  But, sometimes I'm stuck, and using
> the debugger is the quickest way to unstick me.

  I've never had to use a debugger in python..... "C", well that's
  another issue entirely ....

  As I write, I'm not yet seeing my reply to Danny, but you should
  probably see it as you read this. That should answer your questions
  and comments....

> So you wouldn't hire me?  Your loss.  :^)

  :-) But youre focus isn't off-center is it?

> While people are talking like this, and about IDE's, the thing I miss
> in the Python debugger is the ability to attach commands to a
> breakpoint.  Does anyone know how to do that?
>
> I use Linux and keystroked emacs to avoid mousing.  And I use a macro
> in emacs to get around not knowing how to attach commands to
> breakpoints.

  On emacs I use simple output stubs for debugging. I *definitely* agree
  regarding keystrokes as opposed to mousing. But it is nice to have
  both.

  On a related note, a few years ago, the local Electric Utility sent
  its entire Autocad Tech staff to a training session where they were
  trained to use Cad without the mouse. Following the session, they
  found that they had a 15% increase in productivity.

  I borrowed the <grin> tag from Danny. I probably use it a little
  differently than he does. Maybe I should use
  <wink-wink-nudge-nudge>

  Cheers
  tim

Tim Johnson <tim at johnsons-web.com>