[Tutor] I would like to learn python ASAP

Danny Yoo dyoo at hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Tue Feb 7 23:29:03 CET 2006

On Tue, 7 Feb 2006, guy wrote:

> I am in the QA field, and am learning Java as well in school but must QA
> jobs today require one to know some scripting language. I do know SQL (Using
> MySQL) and have writing small starting python and java scripts like
> calc.py/java and other print statements. (Nothing to be proud of :-))

Hello Guy,

I'm assuming then that you've had some previous programming experience.
Have you seen Dive into Python?

    http://diveintopython.org/

It might help you jump into writing Python programs; the intended audience
is experienced programmers.

> I would like to understand how one can right unit test cases using
> python and how to utilize them on a giving application.

The chapter on Unit Testing in Dive into Python is quite good:

    http://diveintopython.org/unit_testing/index.html

> Testing the DB as well as from http calls

You might find:

    http://wwwsearch.sourceforge.net/mechanize/
    http://www.idyll.org/~t/www-tools/twill/

useful in doing tests on web appications.

Good luck!