[Tutor] Finding bottom level directories, and command-line arguments

Danny Yoo dyoo at hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Wed Feb 8 23:56:46 CET 2006

> I've got this:
>
> -------
> def isBottomDir(path):
>     for item in os.listdir(path):
>         if os.path.isdir(os.path.join(path,item)):
>             return False
>     return True
> -------
>
> Is that an acceptable way of doing this?

Hi Simon,

Your code looks good to me!

> I've been reading http://thedailywtf.com for a month or so now - and
> though I've yet to see a Python example cross their pages, I'm rather
> terrified of becoming the first :)

That web site (http://thedailywtf.com) is amusing in its way, but my
problem with it is that so many of the people there enjoy mocking others
in a mean-spirited and immature way.  Programming well is a hard thing.
The adolescent posturing I see there isn't admirable to me. It's also very
sad to see that, for any given bad code, there's a lot more really bad
that I have misgivings toward Slashdot.  *grin*

> To iterate through the directories, the following works for me:
>
> -------
> for root, dirs, files in os.walk('~\Test'):
>     if test_dir.isBottomDir(root) == True: print root
> -------
>
> Is it worthwhile trying to write my own recursive function for this?

It's perfectly ok to take advantage of os.walk(); I like this code.

Good luck to you!