[Tutor] Time to Use a Global Variable?

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Feb 9 16:21:08 CET 2006

On Thu, 9 Feb 2006, Alan Gauld wrote:

> Those who come from a life sciences background or a traditional engineering
> background can usually transition much more easily because they are used to
> thinking in terms of systems of linked objects and their interactions.

Alan,

   I suppose, then, that I'm the exception that proves the rule. My strength
as a systems ecologist is synthesis; seeing how it all fits together and
works given all the pieces. But, I also have a very strong quantitative
ability and have applied statistics (including spatial) and modeling
(including fuzzy sets and fuzzy logic) to natural resource concerns.

   It's still the correct expression of the linked objects and their
interactions where I'm stalled. Of course, I recognize where and why I have
problems, but those are very difficult to effectively resolve via
long-distance e-mail. Unfortunately, there's a lack of enthusiasm among the
local python experts to sitting down and providing a tutorial on specific,
real-life code. That works much better for me in learning a new language.
Although, I have picked up LaTeX quite well from books and the mail lists.

Thanks,

Rich

--
Richard B. Shepard, Ph.D.               |   Author of "Quantifying Environmental
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)   |  Impact Assessments Using Fuzzy Logic"