[Tutor] nutshell review

Terry Carroll carroll at tjc.com
Fri Feb 10 04:07:37 CET 2006

On Thu, 9 Feb 2006, Andre Roberge wrote:

> I own about 10 Python books including Learning Python, Programming
> Python and Python in a Nutshell.  Of these three, Python in a Nutshell
> is the one I find the most useful.  The Python Cookbook (2nd ed) is my
> other favourite.  Your mileage may vary...

I love the Cookbook, but it's not a reference and it does not do a very
good job if you try to force it into that role.  As I read through it, I
see recipes that use some feature -- usually a library call -- I don't
know, and I can't find out what the thing does from the context.  I have
to go look it up in another book, like the Nutshell.

That's not a bad thing.  If the Cookbook explained every little part of
every recipe, it would be way too long, and the editors would have had to
cut out half the recipes to make it a reaonsble size.  My only point is
that, great as it is, it's not a reference book, and shouldn't be expected
to be one.

Man, I probably have about 10 Python books, too (including both editions
of the Cookbook), and I only program for fun.