[Tutor] nutshell review

Carroll, Barry Barry.Carroll at psc.com
Fri Feb 10 17:58:41 CET 2006

Greetings:

I have been programming in Python for about a year.  We use Python 2.3;
we haven't migrated to 2.4 because the Real-time OS we use in our test
systems doesn't yet support it.  I have the four O'Reilly 'standards' as
well ("Nutshell", "Learning", "Cookbook", and "Programming").  I use
"Nutshell" and "Learning" the most by far.  When I'm looking for a
detailed example of some implementation I will look through "Cookbook"
or "Programming", but when I need to look up usage or syntax, or remind
myself how some feature works, I go to "Nutshell" first and then
"Learning" I use them both nearly every day.  I find that "Nutshell"
supports 2.3 very well.  Don't know about 2.4.

Another book I have just found that may turn out useful is "Python
Programming Patterns"  by Thomas W. Christopher, published by Prentice
Hall PTR.  From the reviews I've read, It isn't really a 'design
patterns' book in the usual sense, but it contains good demonstrations
of applying Python to solve real problems.  I don't know for myself yet,
as I just ordered it yesterday.  We'll see.

Regards,

Barry
barry.carroll at psc.com
541-302-1107
"Never trust anything that can think for itself
if you can't see where it keeps its brain"
JK Rowling