[Tutor] Interpackage access help-Please disregard other post with same name

Francesco A. Queirolo faq at lanl.gov
Mon Feb 13 18:01:16 CET 2006

Sorry about the double post but the first one was sent before I was
completed with my question.

I have the following directory structure on Windows XP running python
2.4.2 final:

JavaInheritancePoly\
                   HierarchicalInheritancePoly.py
                   Animals\
                           __init__.py
                           Modules\
                                      __init__.py
                                      Animal.py
                           Test\
                                      __init__.py
                                      AnimalTest.py

When in AnimalTest.py I would like to access animal. I have tried:

from JavaInheritancePoly.Animals.Modules import Animal

and receive this error from the interpreter window:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 11, in ?
ImportError: No module named JavaInheritancePoly.Animals.Modules

Line 11 is of course the import statement.

I am able to access Animal.py from HierarchicalInheritancePoly.py through
either:

from Animals.Modules import Animal
    OR
import Animals.Modules.Animal

I think it is some sort of problem with my path or sys.path but I am not
totally sure what is going on.

Thank you,
Francesco

--