[Tutor] Build Python 2.4 SCO OpenServer 5

Danny Yoo dyoo at hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Tue Feb 14 21:30:52 CET 2006

On Tue, 14 Feb 2006, Paul Kraus wrote:

> Everything configures fine but when I build it dies here...
>  (If this is not the right place for this please point me to where I should be
> posting.)

Hi Paul,

Try the comp.lang.python newsgroup; this installation question seems very
specialized, and SCO is somewhat of a marginalized platform for newcomers;
very few of us here on Tutor can give much helpful advice on this topic.

The only SCO-specific material I see so far in the README is:

"""
SCO:	The following apply to SCO 3 only; Python builds out of the box
	on SCO 5 (or so we've heard).

	1) Everything works much better if you add -U__STDC__ to the
	defs.  This is because all the SCO header files are broken.
	Anything that isn't mentioned in the C standard is
	conditionally excluded when __STDC__ is defined.

	2) Due to the U.S. export restrictions, SCO broke the crypt
	stuff out into a separate library, libcrypt_i.a so the LIBS
	needed be set to:

		LIBS=' -lsocket -lcrypt_i'
"""

But there's no mention of an anticipated memory core dump during the
build.  The folks at comp.lang.python will be better equipped to help you
diagnose your problem.

Good luck!