[Tutor] problems with the shebang line and linux

Tiago Saboga tiagosaboga at terra.com.br
Thu Feb 16 15:48:24 CET 2006

Em Qui 16 Fev 2006 12:23, Adam escreveu:
> > brian at Cedric:/media/windata$ ./testerlybar.py
> > bash: ./testerlybar.py: /usr/bin/python^M: bad interpreter: No such
> > file or directory
>
> It seems to me that that ^M is your problem although I'm not quite sure
> where it came from there seems to be an extra character on the end of the
> copied one.

I'm pretty sure the problem is the different way linux and windows/dos mark
the end of line (IIRC, linux -> LF, windows -> CR+LF). Just try (it's
installed on my debian box, I can check which package it is, if you want):

$ fromdos -b testerlybar.py

Of course, reading the manual page for fromdos is a good thing.

tiago saboga.