[Tutor] Generating small random integer

Kermit Rose kermit at polaris.net
Mon Feb 20 00:50:14 CET 2006

From: Adam
Date: 02/19/06 18:25:05
To: Kermit Rose
Cc: tutor at python.org
Subject: Re: [Tutor] Generating small random integer

You might want to try the random module.

*****************************
Why did I get this diagnostic?

>>> factor0(3737)
[1, 0, 0, 3737, 1, 1, 3737, 1]

Traceback (most recent call last):
    factor0(3737)
  File "<pyshell#35>", line 12, in factor0
    v = transfac(v)
  File "<pyshell#48>", line 19, in transfac
    na = na + randint(1,na)
NameError: global name 'randint' is not defined

In the function that calls randint,   I placed the import command.

def transfac(v):
  import random
  a = v[0]

randint(a, b)

Return a random integer N such that a <= N <= b.

***********************

In general,  how can I find documentation on any particular function if I
don't know what module it is in?

do a search on http://www.python.org/

Patch: 3-argument pow() function

I found this, but it doesn't tell me how to use it.

I wanted to write a pseudo prime number tester.

So,  I wanted to use this function to test the value of

pow(2,(z-1)/2,z)  for positive integers z.

*******