[Tutor] simple list question

John Fouhy john at fouhy.net
Mon Feb 20 23:58:05 CET 2006

On 21/02/06, Ara Kooser <ghashsnaga at gmail.com> wrote:
>  Why is that? I thought that adding , after the print command would allow
> the format to stay the same. Is there a better way of doing this (I like
> lists because I can edit them easily)? Thanks.

A comma after a print statement basically replaces the newline with a space.

Originally, I guess, this was just so that you could say 'print x, y, z'.

>>> print 'foo', 'bar', 'baz'
foo bar baz

But it means you can also use a trailing comma to suppress the final
newline.  eg:

>>> def p():
...  print 'foo'
...  print 'bar'
...  print 'baz'
>>> def q():
...  print 'foo',
...  print 'bar',
...  print 'baz'
>>> p()
foo
bar
baz
>>> q()
foo bar baz

As to formatting your list --- what exactly are you trying to achieve?

--
John.