[Tutor] Generating small random integer

Kent Johnson kent37 at tds.net
Tue Feb 21 13:49:42 CET 2006

w chun wrote:
>>You need to tell python that randint is in the random module.
>>ie, instead of calling randint(), call random.randint().
>

> now this reminds me of something... and i think i need the help of the
> tutors here!  :-)
>
> a long time ago, i recall that randint() was deprecated in favor of
> randrange().  then in 2.2.2, it was "rehabilitated."  does anyone
> recall exactly what happened and why?

This page in the 2.0 lib reference says, "Deprecated since release 2.0.
Use randrange() instead.":
http://www.python.org/doc/2.0/lib/rng-objects.html

In 2.2.2 it is rehabilitated as you say:
http://www.python.org/doc/2.2.2/lib/module-random.html
http://www.python.org/2.2.2/NEWS.txt

but no note in the What's New doc indicating why...

Kent