[Tutor] Translator

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at freenet.co.uk
Wed Feb 22 06:59:44 CET 2006

> What i need is a program that translates english in-to
> this completly made up language this person has.

Language translation isone of those topics that sounds
like it should be straightforward but is actually very hard.

Illustration:

A translator was built (back in the 70s?) to translate
between English and Russian. To tet it they fed in the
phrase "Out of sight, out of mind" and then fed the
result back in again to see what came back out.
The result was "Invisible, idiot"...

I'm not sure how true that story is but it illustrates the point well.

If you do want a basic approach you can base it around
a set of dictionaries, but the tricky bit is handling word endings
and context/grammar etc.

HTH,

Alan G.