[Tutor] Repeating a routine

Brian Gustin brian at daviesinc.com
Wed Feb 22 18:14:12 CET 2006

yeah GOTO , in basic (I used to write software in Commodore BASIC
myself) is similar to a for or while loop -

In BASIC, you would write a program, *including* line numbers  thus:

10 a=32
20 b="hello"
30 print a
40 print b
50 a=a-1
60 if a > 0 goto 20
70 end

(It's probably not 100% syntactically correct, but the general idea is
it would print "hello" 33 times and then end..)

in python, you would do :

a=32
b=hello
c=0
while c <= a:
   print b
   c = c+1

for the same results- that's what GOTO in BASIC would be used for
BASIC also had subroutines, which are GOSUB, which equate to perl's sub,
php's function, or python's def

Just my 2 cents worth :)

Bri!