[Tutor] Syntax Errors

Danny Yoo dyoo at hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Tue Jan 3 22:52:14 CET 2006

On Tue, 3 Jan 2006, Jason Massey wrote:

> I've just finished ripping out a bunch of lines in one of my wxPython
> programs.  Testing it out I get:
>
> C:\Python24>tla2.py
>   File "C:\Python24\tla2.py", line 412
>     self.grid.SetCellValue(0,0,"Site")
>     ^
> SyntaxError: invalid syntax
>
> There's nothing wrong with that line.  I didn't even touch it in the
> overhaul (refactoring is much too delicate of a word for the surgery I
> just did).  I can make the error go away by unindenting the line, but
> all that happens then is the error gets passed onto the next line down.

Hi Jason,

Can you show us the line in context?  That is, can you show us a few lines
above and below?

Also, let's make sure we're not running into a silly tab-vs-spaces issue.
Can you try running Python with the '-tt' command line option?  This will
enable Python to strictly treat mixed tabs and spaces as a bad thing.

Good luck!