[Tutor] IndexError: list index out of range [ Program work fine , but gives this message , guidance requested ]

John Joseph jjk_saji at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 8 13:36:57 CET 2006

--- Guillermo Fernandez Castellanos
<guillermo.fernandez.castellanos at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Look at this:
>  >>> i=[1,2,3]
>  >>> i[len(i)]
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>    File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
> IndexError: list index out of range
>

> This means that I have tried to access an element
> that is out of the
> list, in this case i[3], that is, the 4th element of
> the list.
>
> You are doing the same. You do a
> j in range(len(seats))
> and then you are accessing your list with seats[j]
> and seats[j+1]. What
> happens when j = len(seats)-1 and you call
> seats[j+1]? :-)
>
> It happens indeed the same that in the example I
> gave you first.
>
> Hope it helps. Good luck,

Thanks for the advice
 But I need to display the results
  What should I do in the for loop  for this message
to go
  my for loop is as

for   j in range(length)  :
        if seats[j] <> seats[j+1]:
                print " The Seat", j , "And the seat",
j+1 , "value, which are", seats[j]," and", seats[j+1],
"are not same"
        else:
                print "The Seats ",j ,"And the seats",
j+1, "Values,", seats[j], "and", seats[j+1], "are
same"
      Thanks
         Joseph John