[Tutor] How can I make a python script go directory by directory and excecute on files of choice

Liam Clarke ml.cyresse at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 04:58:56 CET 2006

Hi Srinivas -

For walking a directory, you can use os.walk() or os.path.walk(), but
I prefer the path module here -
http://www.jorendorff.com/articles/python/path/.

As for determining if a file is really an .XLS format file or a tab
delimited file with .xls on the end, go to www.wotsit.org, have a look
at the .XLS specifications; there'll probably be a sequence of
identifying bytes you can read to confirm that it's an XLS.

Regards,

Liam Clarke