[Tutor] CPU Utilization]

DS ds-python-tutor at sidorof.com
Thu Jan 12 23:06:16 CET 2006

Alan Gauld wrote:

>> shell out to perform the top command, parse the results, and report
>> those values to the job controller.
>

> I'd use vmstat rather than top since top is intended to run
> contuinuously whereas vmstat by default just returns a single line
> snapshot.
>
> I don't know of any native python mechanism for obtaining cpu usage.
>
> Alan G

vmstat is a beautiful thing.  Although as I mentioned in reply to others
who responded to my question that top can run just once, top actually
provides much more information than I am intending to use, making it
seem a little wasteful.  vmstat is much more focused on exactly the
information I want.  Although I am using linux pretty much exclusively
these days, there's still a lot that I don't know and I wasn't aware
that it existed.

Thanks

ds