[Tutor] Python debugger bummer

Victor Bouffier victor at grupocdm.com
Mon Jan 16 20:12:21 CET 2006

Hi to all,

I tried to look for a reference to this issue in the ASPN archive, but I
can't seem to find an answer.

I currently work under Linux and have never been able to properly use
the Python debugger. Coming from a Perl background, I fail to find a
similar simple way to step through my code the way I am able to do it
through the -d flag using Perl on the command line. It is so painless.

I have used Python on Windows, usually writing my programs using Vim,
and entering the PythonWin environment to debug my programs. It is a
good environment to do that, although I prefer my independent editor for
writing my programs.

I once paid for ActiveState's Komodo for Linux to use as an IDE, but I find it
bloated and slow, not to mention the need to constantly upgrade if you
want to keep up with versions (have not done it yet).

Does anyone have any suggestions as to an alternative to PythonWin, or
even better still, a reference to a good tutorial on how to use my
current tools: how to use the python debugger as the way Perl debugger
works? I am certain the Python interpreter (being better that Perl in
that sense) must have a way to use the debugger.

I work under Linux using vi/gvim and ipython (I have never really tried
IDLE).

Thanks in advance for any help.
Victor