[Tutor] Python + MySQL , my first simple program does not gives results

Danny Yoo dyoo at hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Thu Jan 19 19:50:14 CET 2006

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006, John Joseph wrote:

> Hi
>    I  tried out my first Pyhton program with MySQL
>              I was trying to get the  some result , eg
>  describe table, select * from table

Hi John,

Unlike Java, Python doesn't force you to put everything in a class.  You
can try the simpler:

######
import MySQLdb
db = MySQLdb.connect(host="localhost",user =
                     "john",password = "asdlkj", db = learnpython)
cursor = db.cursor()
cursor.execute(" describe contact" )
cursor.execute(" SELECT * from contact" )
######

from toplevel.

>  but my program does not give the expected results ,

What do you expect to see, and from where?

A call to cursor.execute()  sets the cursor up so that subsequent calls to
cursor.fetchone() will give us result rows.  See:

    http://www.amk.ca/python/writing/DB-API.html

You need to add some code to print out the result set.  The link above is
a tutorial to the database interface that should help you get started.

Good luck!