[Tutor] python-based system programming and admin?

Neal McBurnett neal at bcn.boulder.co.us
Mon Jan 23 01:39:23 CET 2006

On Sun, Jan 22, 2006 at 06:19:55PM -0600, Hugo González Monteverde wrote:
> I used to do perl on linux until I found Python, I find it very easy to
> run quick scripts and system stuff without having to learn BASH, sed,
> awk, etc separately, taht way I can do regexp, listings, recursion on
> directories, batch jobs, etc.

My question is exactly how to let someone do that securely on a remote
machine.  I've looked at ipython now, and I think it is ideal for the
purpose - I just have to tell the user to ssh in and run 'ipython' to
get a familiar and flexible environment.

> I'm thinking that perhaps allowing him to run idle and exporting X
> display to the Mac could be an option?

The system is a server - doesn't even need X libraries, which are a
significant source of security concerns.

Thanks,

Neal McBurnett                 http://bcn.boulder.co.us/~neal/
Signed and/or sealed mail encouraged.  GPG/PGP Keyid: 2C9EBA60