[Tutor] Linux Python install?

CPIM Ronin ronin_cpim at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 23 15:28:50 CET 2006

Sorry to bother the list with so simple a question but on moving to Linux
from Windows XP,  it's not clear to me how to accomplish a Python install on
Linux. On XP it was mostly point and click on a ".msi" file (with msi
standing for Microsoft install). I've loaded the latest Fedora/Redhat
release on an old AMD machine. How do I install Python such that it shows up
as a selection under the Programming task bar with EMACS?
I assume I have to do this under root, right?

Step by step please.

Thanks.