[Tutor] Linux Python install?

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at freenet.co.uk
Mon Jan 23 19:23:51 CET 2006

> from Windows XP,  it's not clear to me how to accomplish a Python install
> on Linux.

That depends on your distro. Each distribution has its own package
management
tool. eg. On RedHat its rpm(and there is a GUI tool too), on Debian its
getappt
or somesuch...

Python should already be installed on most distros, but of course you may
want a more recent version.

> standing for Microsoft install). I've loaded the latest Fedora/Redhat
> release on an old AMD machine. How do I install Python such that it shows
> up as a selection under the Programming task bar with EMACS?

No idea how to put it into Emacs automatically. I suspect that needs some
editing
of the .emacs file or somesuch. Some packages may do that for you but its
beyond my outdated knowledge of Linux... I just run Linux, I don't tweak it
very
much.

> I assume I have to do this under root, right?

Not necessarily, but if you use another user you will sometimes find that
you
don't have access to the default fiolder locations. And even ifg you do only
that user will be able to run the application. So root is usually best.

HTH,

Alan G