[Tutor] passwords in scripts

Ivan Furone mail.roma1 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 14:41:48 CET 2006

Hi Ivan

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying here.
Surely if the file is compiled it can just run (and
will only need to be RE-compiled when I have to change
the code (such as when one of the servers has their
password changed).
I would never need to de-compile, because I'll just
keep a copy of the file  on a memory stick, edit it
there, compile it and replace the current compiled
file with the newly compiled file.
Not that I know anything about compiling Python
programs, I just want to know if this is a possibility

Thanks
Ben

Hi Ben,
Perhaps I've been too much long-winded talking about the compiling
issue,and too rash elsewhere.What I would say,essentially,it's
possible to split the script in two modules,the first containing the
passwords and a crypting/decrypting routine,and the second which could
perform the checking operations on the logs.The second should need the
passwords stored in the first to check them,so in module2,for
example,you would import module1.This would allow the module with the
passwords to be attached just at the needed moment then to be removed.
Otherwise it applies the same if it's preferred.to backup and replace
just a part of the script instead of everything,so it's possibile to
modify the passwords or the script itself separately.It all depends by
how you like to work with it.
However I must establish that the access via telnet is the main
security concern,and I agree to what Danny previously said about.The
problem here is much matter of dealing with admins.
Cheers,
 Ivan