[Tutor] Is this overkill?

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at freenet.co.uk
Fri Jan 27 09:24:00 CET 2006

Catherine

> I've spend some time going throught the many available turorials, but find
> it hard to get good exercises to try out what you learn.

Most tutorials do have a few suggested exercises but the best way is to
take the examples they give and modify them to see what happens. The
reason for that is you are starting with a working outline which is much
easier than starting with nothing.

However one source of small project ideas is "Useless Python". Have
you seen that web site? It includes all sorts of little programs that people
have written plus lots of projects that have been suggested, some very
small others quite ambitious.

So far as I know Useless Python is a unique concept in programming
languages, but I think its great for beginners! (And don't forget to visit
the 'old site' because it has more content than the new - but less well
organised!)

HTH,

Alan G
Author of the learn to program web tutor