[Tutor] How do I get my machine to run an SMTP server?

Luke Paireepinart rabidpoobear at gmail.com
Wed Jul 12 05:29:56 CEST 2006

[snip code]
> *When I run the program using IDLE, I get the following:*
>
> Send the contents of a directory as a MIME message.
>
> Usage: dirmail [options] from to [to ...]*

>     -h / --help
>         Print this message and exit.
>
>     -d directory
>     --directory=directory
>         Mail the contents of the specified directory, otherwise use the
>         current directory.  Only the regular files in the directory
> are sent,
>         and we don't recurse to subdirectories.
>
> `from' is the email address of the sender of the message.
>
> `to' is the email address of the recipient of the message, and multiple
> recipients may be given.
>
> The email is sent by forwarding to your local SMTP server, which then
> does the
> normal delivery process.  Your local machine must be running an SMTP
> server.
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "C:\Documents and Settings\User\Desktop\EB2.py", line 125, in ?
>     main()
>   File "C:\Documents and Settings\User\Desktop\EB2.py", line 65, in main
>     usage(1)
>   File "C:\Documents and Settings\User\Desktop\EB2.py", line 48, in usage
>     sys.exit(code)
> SystemExit: 1
>
> *I guess that my first question is how do I get my machine to run an
> SMTP server?*
That's not what's causing the error.  It's raising an error because your
program expects arguments to be passed to it.
Did you know that?
Other than that, if you're on Linux, Sendmail is an SMTP server that
comes with most/all flavors of Linux, I believe.
If you're on Windows, I have no idea what kind of SMTP server you should
use.
Sorry I can't be of more help.