[Tutor] Python Programming Books

Carroll, Barry Barry.Carroll at psc.com
Fri Jul 14 19:10:37 CEST 2006

Greetings:

Like Matthew, I have a been programming for several years, mostly in
C-like languages and various assembly languages.  I started using Python
about two years ago. "Learning Python" is my text book; "Python in a
Nutshell" is my language reference.  Both are excellent.  I use one or
both nearly every day.  I haven't used the "Python Cookbook" much.

For those learning to program with Python as their language, I recommend
Alan Gauld's online guide "Learning to Program":

     http://www.freenetpages.co.uk/hp/alan.gauld/

It is well written and easy to follow.  For those who like to read hard
copy, you can download a pdf version of the guide

     http://www.freenetpages.co.uk/hp/alan.gauld/tutor.pdf

and print it out.

Best of luck.

Barry
barry.carroll at psc.com
541-302-1107
________________________
We who cut mere stones must always be envisioning cathedrals.

-Quarry worker's creed

> ------------------------------
> Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 10:11:19 +0100
> From: "Matthew Webber" <matthew at CuneiformSoftware.com>
> Subject: Re: [Tutor] Python Programming Books
> To: "'Grady Henry'" <gwhjr at cox.net>, <tutor at python.org>
>
> It depends a lot on what your prior programming experience in other
> languages is.
>
> I have a large amount of prior programming experience, and I found
> "Learning
> Python" very good. The "Python Cookbook" (Martelli et. al., also
O'Reilly)
> is very useful for learning the idioms.

Behalf
> Of Grady Henry
> Sent: 14 July 2006 06:20
> To: tutor at python.org
> Subject: [Tutor] Python Programming Books
>
> I have three books on Python programming, "Learning Python" by
O'Reilly,