[Tutor] So close! But ... error: (10054, 'Connection reset by peer')

Michael P. Reilly arcege at gmail.com
Sun Jul 16 23:31:23 CEST 2006

You are running on a PC, which doesn't have a SMTP server running on it.
The default hostname for smtplib.SMTP().connect() is to localhost (your own
machine).   You will need to find out the hostname of the mail server that
your ISP provides.  You probably set it when you set up your email (based on
a little research, it looks to be "smtp.cox.net").
  -Arcege

On 7/16/06, Grady Henry <gwhjr at cox.net> wrote:

>  *I think that I am so close to getting this simple program to run
> correctly:*
> **
> # Import smtplib for the actual sending function
> import smtplib
>
> # Import the email modules we'll need
> from email.MIMEText import MIMEText
>
> # Open a plain text file for reading.  For this example, assume that
> # the text file contains only ASCII characters.
> fp = open(r'C:\Documents and Settings\User\Desktop\\text3.txt')
> # Create a text/plain message
> msg = MIMEText(fp.read())
> fp.close()
>
> # me == the sender's email address
> # you == the recipient's email address
> msg['Subject'] = 'The contents of %s' % 'C:\Documents and
> Settings\User\Desktop\\text3.txt'
> msg['From'] = 'gwhjr at cox.net' <%27gwhjr at cox.net%27>
> msg['To'] = 'gwhjr at bigfoot.com' <%27gwhjr at bigfoot.com%27>
>
> # Send the message via our own SMTP server, but don't include the
> # envelope header.
> s = smtplib.SMTP()
> s.set_debuglevel(1)
> s.connect(host='', port=25)
> __init__(self, host='', port=25, local_hostname=None)
> s.sendmail('gwhjr at cox.net' <%27gwhjr at cox.net%27>, ['gwhjr at bigfoot.com'],
> msg.as_string())
> s.quit()
> s.close()
>
> *But when I run it using IDLE, I get the following:*
> **
>
> IDLE 1.1.3      ==== No Subprocess ====
> >>>
> connect: ('', 25)
> connect: ('', 25)
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "C:\Documents and Settings\User\Desktop\textsender.py", line 24, in
> ?
>     s.connect(host='', port=25)
>   File "C:\Python24\lib\smtplib.py", line 307, in connect
>     (code, msg) = self.getreply()
>   File "C:\Python24\lib\smtplib.py", line 348, in getreply
>     line = self.file.readline()
>   File "C:\Python24\lib\socket.py", line 340, in readline
>     data = self._sock.recv(self._rbufsize)
> error: (10054, 'Connection reset by peer')
> >>>

> *Can anybody help?*

There's so many different worlds,
So many different suns.
And we have just one world,