[Tutor] Calling a function by string name

Smith, Jeff jsmith at medplus.com
Fri Jul 21 18:52:16 CEST 2006

I have an object and I want to call a method that I have constructed the
name for in a string.

For example:
str_method = 'myfun'
obj.str_method

Of course, this fails.  I know I could probably do this with exec but is
there a better way?

For context, the specific application is a wrapper to calling p4python.
Note that the second return (under the else under the try) is where I
want to call 'method' which is the string name of a method valid for
self._client.

    def _p4runner(self, method, *args):
        'runs a Perforce command'
        try:
            if callable(method):
                return method(*args)
            else:
                return self._client.method(*args)
        except p4.P4Client.error:
            raise
        except:
            if self._client.errors:
                raise p4.P4Client.error('\n'.join(self._client.errors))
            else:
                raise

Clear as mud?
Jeff