[Tutor] Not Really Questions

John Connors oztriking at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 4 15:33:48 CEST 2006

G'day,

While the list is kind of slow I thought I'd post a few thoughts on a couple
of things in Python that bug me. They're not really questions but maybe
someone can help me understand.

The first one is lists... I can't for the life of me understand why a list
starts at zero. In everything else in life other than programming the 1st
item in a list is always 1.

The next thing I don't understand is why the last number in a range is not
used...

For a in range(1,6):
    print a,

1 2 3 4 5

Once again it defies the logic of everything else we are taught in life.

The 3rd whinge is object oriented programming. I think I understand the
principle behind OOP but in practise, to me, it just makes programs jumbled,
unreadable and bloated. Just about every summary I have read on Python says
it is designed to have a simple syntax and is easy to learn. As a beginner I
can look at Python code and have a very good idea of what is happening and
why unless it's written in OOP style in which case I have no idea.

John