[Tutor] Affect of doc strings on performance

Kent Johnson kent37 at tds.net
Wed Jun 7 11:48:34 CEST 2006

i don't think it makes any difference. I suppose it will slow down the
parsing of the file by a tiny amount, and increase memory usage by the
size of the strings, but I don't think it will change execution time.

The Python standard library has lots of doc strings. Type help(dict) at
the interpreter prompt for an example. The dict class is highly
optimized so if doc strings affected speed that would be a problem.

If you have a time critical function, you could always time it with and
without doc strings to be sure! In Python it's always best to answer
"which is faster" questions with real data.

Kent