[Tutor] module versus file

Kermit Rose kermit at polaris.net
Thu Jun 8 00:44:08 CEST 2006

Message: 7
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2006 08:12:59 -0400
From: Kent Johnson <kent37 at tds.net>
Subject: Re: [Tutor] default module

Hi Kermit,

To make a module available for import, you just have to save it
somewhere on your Python path. There are several ways to do this,

*******

Yes.  By some means that I don't remember I declared the file factor30.py
in directory
math\factoring

to be a module.

 but if
you want to make another importable module just save it in the same
location as factor30.py.

***************

Are you saying that any .py file that I save in math\factoring
can be imported?

There is no practical limit on how many modules
you can have - just RAM and disk space limits,

AFAIK.

******

Had to look up the acronyn.

What is AFAIK?
It's an acronym for As Far As I Know.

 You already have
many modules installed as part of the standard library and any
third-party add-ons you have installed.

**********

Yes.   I'm impressed with the listing in built_in.

I assumed system modules were handled in a different way than user modules.

*********

If you are working with a module from the interpreter and you make
changes to the module, you have to reload it with the command
  >>> reload(factor30)

*****

I will try the reload command next time I work with factor30.

This won't work for local names (from factor30 import xx)! Just use the
full name to access any elements of factor30, e.G. factor30.gcd. Read

******

In order to have the shorter name,

gcd

instead of factor30.gcd,

I prepare by

typing

from factor30 import gcd

Once someone said that modules and files are not the same thing.

This statement left me puzzled.  Why not?

Kermit  <  kermit at polaris.net  >