[Tutor] problems using PyGTK on cygwin

Christopher Spears cspears2002 at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 9 20:35:45 CEST 2006

I have been trying to work throught the PyGTK tutorial
using cygwin, but I have been having problems.  For
example when I try to launch the helloworld.py program
(http://www.pygtk.org/pygtk2tutorial/ch-GettingStarted.html#sec-HelloWorld),
I get this:

$ python helloworld.py
No fonts found; this probably means that the
fontconfig
library is not correctly configured. You may need to
edit the fonts.conf configuration file. More
information
about fontconfig can be found in the fontconfig(3)
manual
page and on http://fontconfig.org

I located the files, but the content is Greek to me!

Likewise, I tried running pygtkconsole.py program
(http://www.pygtk.org/pygtk2tutorial/examples/pygtkconsole.py)
and got

$ python pygtkconsole.py
      5 [main] python2.4 1360
C:\cygwin\bin\python2.4.exe: *** fatal error - unable
to remap C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin\cygXcursor-1.dll to
same address as parent(0x18870000) != 0x188A0000
      6 [main] python 1588 child_copy: loaded dll data
write copy failed, 0x60084000..0x60085150, done 0,
windows pid 2286452, Win32 error 5
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "pygtkconsole.py", line 119, in ?
    interact()
  File "pygtkconsole.py", line 101, in interact
    gi = GtkInterpreter()
  File "pygtkconsole.py", line 81, in __init__
    child_pid = os.fork()
OSError: [Errno 11] Resource temporarily unavailable

Any suggestions?  I have been seriously thinking of
just downloading PyGTK for Windows instead of trying
to run it in the faux Unix environment of cygwin.

-Chris