[Tutor] Unit testing

Tino Dai tinoloc at gmail.com
Mon Jun 26 19:58:36 CEST 2006

Hey Everybody,

      First off, I like to thank Kent, Alan, and Danny for their invaluable
help. You guys are amazing!

       I do have some questions about unit testing. I have read through the
diving into python section about unit testing as well as the documentation
from the python docs. While that gives me a good beginning, of course I'm
hungry for more and the doc doesn't go far enough. Here are the questions:

       I have a part of the code that writes to the filesystem. Is the only
way of unit testing that section of code to write a piece of code that will
actually go out and test to see if that particular is out there or is there
another way?

       How do I simulate my queues and other sources of data. In Java, there
is a program called JMock that you can use to simulate that. Is there
anything like that in Python or do I roll my own and create the appropriate
queues with some data in the unit test?

      How would I unit test python GUIs

      Could you recommend a book on unit testing, and maybe a book python
and unit testing

Thanks and much gratitude,
Tino